Daiwa Scholarships

tokyo-towerSpend 19 months of language study, work placement and homestay in Japan, giving you the framework to acquire Japanese language skills and access expertise and knowledge relevant to your career goals.  You will also be able to network with decision-makers in your field.   The Scholarship covers tuition costs and living expenses.

You must be:

  • a British citizen
  • a graduate or due to graduate

Apply by Thursday 7 December 2017.  You can find full information and apply at www.dajf.org.uk.

Require a research grant?

Canon Foundation in Europe offer research grants to highly qualified European

researchers who have obtained at least a master’s degree within the last 10 years for research in Japan.  Fellowships last three months to one year, and are open to students from any discipline.

Find out more informationClosing date for applications: 15 September 2017

Teach English in Japan?

JETThe Japan Exchange and Teaching – JET – Programme, an official Japanese Government scheme, sends graduates to Japan in order to promote international understanding at grass-roots level and to improve foreign language teaching in schools.

Essentially the Jet Programme recruits Assistant Language Teachers to work in a Japanese Secondary School or local Board of Education.  Typically you would:

  • Spend 15-20 hours a week team-teaching or helping with classes taught by Japanese Teachers of English (JTEs)
  • Assist in the preparation of teaching materials
  • Take part in school extra-curricular activities
  • Promote communicative language-learning in the classroom

You can find out about the opportunity at www.jet-uk.org.  You will need to apply by 6:00pm on the final Friday in November.

Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships

offer postgraduates the chance to study in Japan for a minimum period of either two yearsToji Temple Glowing at Evening or 18 months, and are awarded to UK graduates who want to pursue independent research or enrol on a course at a Japanese University.  You will need to choose your course and university before you apply.

You can find out more about the MEXT scholarships at www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp.  You will need to hold a UK passport: nationals of other countries should contact the Japanese Embassy in your home country.  The deadline for UK applications is early in June.

JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Foreign Researchers (Long Term)

Toji Temple Glowing at EveningJapan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) is the leading research funding agency in Japan, established by the Japanese Government for the purpose of contributing to the advancement of science. The Postdoctoral Fellowship for Foreign Researchers (Long Term) provides the opportunity for researchers based outside of Japan to conduct collaborative research activities with leading research groups at Japanese universities and research institutions for visits of between 12-24 months.

Eligible applicants should be citizens of the UK or EU and need to have finished their PhD at a UK university or research institution at the time of applying to start their fellowship in Japan or have obtained their PhD after the stipulated date.

Eligible research fields are limited to natural sciences, including physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering science, agricultural and medical research (non-clinical only), scientific aspects of archaeology, geography, experimental psychology and the history of science.

Applications for this fellowship should be submitted to The Royal Society; visit https://royalsociety.org/grants/schemes/jsps-postdoctoral/ for more information.

Country guides for international students

Are you returning or thinking of returning to your home country to look for work?

The Starting your career in..  series on the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS) website offers practical advice, with key facts about current trends and jobs, advice about seeking employment, hints and tips for making a successful application, and helpful information sources.

There are profiles for Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, Nigeria, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates and the USA.

[Written by Expertise in Labour Mobility with support from i-graduate©.]