you may decide you would like some help from the PCC. So, get in touch.
How do you find our contact details? Look at www.brunel.ac.uk/services/pcc/contact-us/people or call the Careers Team on 01895 266840 or the Placement Team on 01895 266841.
Take a look at the gradireland.com site
- Advice on how to approach internship interviews with tips from recruiters and examples of typical questions
- Six ways to make sure an internship is remembered by recruiters including an action plan you can use when you are on an internship or placement
- How to use your internship experience to get a job with advice on transferable skills and how to link work experience to your future career
Although it might not feel like it yet exams will soon be over for another year, but what will you be doing with your summer?
Of course a break after the stress of exams and deadlines is well deserved but, after a week or two in the sun, what’s next? With more than 12 weeks of free time don’t waste it! It’s an excellent opportunity to broaden your skills and gain some work experience while earning some extra cash to bump up your finances for next year.
Free time over the summer gives you a chance to gain the work experience that is so valued by recruiters. If you plan to do a placement, showing an employer that you have used your summer to acquire new skills, or perhaps been responsible for a project or developing a new system will go miles in your applications – let alone give you something real to talk about during your interviews! You may even get a placement out of it for next year or a job after you’ve graduated!
You can still decide to take a placement year – just contact your Placement Officer. You can keep looking until September!
Have you already decided you’re not going to do a placement? Then getting work experience under your belt is even more essential. Put yourself in a recruiter’s shoes: who would you employ if you could choose between a graduate with no experience or someone who has built up a strong portfolio? Recruiters want to see that you can apply your academic learning in the work environment and the best way is through work experience!
So where can you find all these opportunities for the summer?
- Check out the PCC vacancies at www.brunel.ac.uk/pcc/vacancies. We have many opportunities for summer working from local firms to larger corporate organisations based around Uxbridge
- www.topinternships.com is dedicated to undergraduate and graduate internships as well as placements. You can find other resources on our website: Exploring career options, Finding work experience, and Working in UK regions
- Use your contacts. A survey conducted by the PCC showed us that many students gain work through friends and family!
- Volunteer. Brunel Volunteers have many projects going on over the summer – use your time to get involved in community projects http://brunelvolunteers.com.
If you need help with deciding what to do, your job applications or your interview style and practice while you’re working over the summer, we are too – drop in to the PCC (1st floor, Bannerman Centre), or visit our website for advice/information or to find our contact details.
Get an understanding of the profession and find out who are the graduate recruiters. Search for graduate jobs, internships and placements on Inside Careers.