If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!
- You should never have to pay an employer or recruitment agency for finding you a job
- Don’t pay for any services such as a CV check. The PDC can review this for you – and it’s free!
- Do not give out any personal information to a recruiter or confirm that any information they have is correct if you haven’t applied to them for a job
- Make sure that you understand exactly what you are getting before you hand over any money
- You should only provide bank or financial information, passport or similar identification once you have definitely got the job, and signed a contract
- Do not take a job where you agree to receive monies into your account and are then asked to transfer the money into other named accounts
- Avoid schemes where you make money by signing up new members to sell for you
- Watch out for ‘phishing’! This is used by fraudsters – either by email, phone or online – to obtain your personal details, such as user names and passwords or financial details
It can be a tough world out there, and there have been cases of Brunel students getting caught by these kind of ‘scams’. If you have any doubts at all about an opportunity just chat to your Careers Consultant.
If you have been the victim of a scam or fraud
- Use Action Fraud’s online fraud reporting service any time of the day or night to report a fraud and find help and support
- Get help and advice over the phone by calling 0300 123 2040 through the Contact Centre
Contact your bank/credit company straight away
Ask them to freeze your account so that no money is paid out, and to send you a new debit/credit card. More information….
- Get Safe Online covers everything from job search, banking, protecting yourself, protecting your computer/tablet/mobile to social networking
- Information on recruitment ‘scams’ on the Action Fraud website that includes an A-Z of fraud and information on the various types of fraud
- Read the tips in this article (November 2009) in the Guardian on how to hunt for jobs and keep your money and identity secure