Students from all disciplines are welcome to attend BUT… you must have a positive interest in CIMA and the career opportunities offered by their employer partners that come with it. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to express your interest, putting CIMA Assessment Centre Day as the subject of your email. Tell us:
- In no more than 50 words what you think you will gain from attending this session
- The course you are studying, and
- Your contact details including a mobile number
A feed dedicated solely to the finance industry that has been created to bring together all the information you need in one place, giving the latest industry news and careers advice, jobs and deadline alerts.
Find them @TjobsFinance
Just register and you will be able to access guides and website content:
- An inside look at investment banking
- An inside look at law firms
- An inside look at investment banking employers
- An inside look at accounting
- An inside look at graduate employers
Just a reminder that the Inside Careers website is worth a look if you want specialist information and jobs in :
Business and Management – covers HR, IT, Logistics / Transport, Management, Management Consultancy, Purchasing / Supply
City and Finance – covers Actuaries, Banking and Investments, Chartered Accountancy, Tax Advisers, Insurance, Management Accountancy, Pensions
or Engineering and Technology – covers Civil / Mechanical / Electrical / Electronic / Structural / Chemical Engineering, Chartered Patent Attorneys, IT
Sign up for e-alerts at http://www.insidecareers.co.uk/
Check out their news bulletins:
- They aim to give a topical insight to Business & Management, City & Finance and Engineering & Technology
- They publish monthly articles on current affairs which help to explain about these sectors
Careersbox is an online library of careers related film, news and information. The site includes case study films, giving an insight into careers across several sectors.
Check out the ICAEW Careersbox channel giving an introduction to ICAEW and a graduate prospectus film.
- icould @ www.icould.com gives the inside story of how careers work. The icould storytellers relate, in their own words, their real life career journeys.
- careerplayer @ www.careerplayer.com Graduate jobs and career advice on video
- 10 minutes with … @ www.10minuteswith.com is designed to help you understand the true nature of different jobs and identify the career paths that most suit you
- The Vega Science Trust Videos @ http://vega.org.uk/video/series/10
Find out all about management accountancy on the CIMA website. What is management accountancy? What’s the difference between CIMA and ACCA? Ask a question, and more..
Professional bodies – sounds mysterious and what do they have to do with future careers? Sounds a bit scary?
All it means is that for many jobs there are organisations which provide a framework for that particular career; they may be the organisation which sets the standard for professional qualifications in that job and / or they may be an organisation that you can join either as a student member or once you are fully qualified. Even more confused?
Let’s look at a couple of examples:
If you’re keen on working in HR, the professional body for HR is called the CIPD which stands for Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development. If you undertake training after your degree to become qualified as a Human Resources Officer your training will be validated by the CIPD.
Similarly, if you want to become a fully qualified accountant, there are several professional bodies you can join or become qualified with, depending on what sort of accountancy route you follow. Two of these are CIMA and CIPFA. CIMA is the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and CIPFA is the Chartered Institute for Public Finance and Accountancy.
These are just two examples – there are hundreds of different professional bodies and they are a useful source of help and advice both while you are a student and when you are working in your chosen job. They are also a useful potential networking resource to tap into.
2 new books in the Placement & Careers Centre – Accountancy Uncovered by Jenny Keaveney and Psychology Uncovered by Owen Davies. Continue reading
Do you know what profession you want to go into but you could do with more in-depth info about how to get qualified / chartered etc ? Continue reading
What’s the difference between CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) and other professional accounting bodies’ qualifications? Find out more on the CIMA site.
Think you would like some help to decide which path is right for you? Then come in to talk to a Career Consultant!
Join CIMA’s (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) undergraduate club! You’ll have:
- the chance to apply for great jobs around the world using CIMA MY JOBS site
- access to recruitment consultants who specialise in management roles
- membership of CIMAsphere, a thriving online community of CIMA students, members and employers
- access to the database of CIMA employers
Great opportunity? Then apply online!